Week 1 versus Week three (second spherical, so Week 20) utilizing BBG (together with the 4 weeks of BBG Newbie).
This has been one in every of my most requested posts up to now! I’ve been very open about sharing my health journey with you all on Instagram story, but I figured it was time I went right into a bit more detail and answered more of your questions.
First, a bit about my health backstory:
I have all the time had a “long and lean” determine and tried to take care of it by understanding and staying healthy. But in 2017, that changed. My jewellery firm, Everly Rings, exploded and I poured each single ounce of time and power I had into the business. I put the whole lot else to the aspect, including this blog, my household and my well being. When 2018 rolled round, my New Yr’s resolution wasn’t the cliched “get fit,” but relatively restoring stability in my life. I’m glad to report that 3 months into 2018, I have efficiently discovered that stability, even whereas launching a second ring company (extra on that later)!
For most of my life, I never had fat in my midsection or ever actually gained weight, for that matter. Positive, I’ve lost muscle tone before, but never gained inches — until final yr.
Last yr I turned 24, which is when a lot of people say your metabolism dips, and I couldn’t agree extra. I wasn’t consuming clear, I felt terrible and utterly out of power all the time. I didn’t recognize my physique anymore. But the worst was in November on the Miami Airport, I had a seizure. I’ve never had a medical concern extra severe than the flu, so this was an enormous shock to me. My physique was telling me I wanted a change.
Truthfully, it took a few month for me to be back to normal after that. I was ready to make the modifications my physique wanted, but I knew that instantly after my seizure was not the time to throw myself into an intense regimen.
I had truly started (and give up) BBG three separate occasions throughout 2017 and never obtained previous Week 5. Wanting back, I know exactly the place I went mistaken. There is a technique to this system, 100%. It wasn’t till this yr that I went into BBG with a careful plan, as an alternative of simply hoping for the perfect, a change I discovered to be pretty main in my newfound success.
THE DETAILS OF BBG
Every week consists of the next:
– 3 Resistance exercises (arms and abs, legs and full physique). These are four 7-minute circuits with 30-second breaks in between. It repeats, so you redo circuits 1 and a couple of yet again as your 3rd and 4th circuits.
– three “LISS” exercises. These are 35 minutes of “low intensity, steady state” cardio. Examples are strolling, operating, biking, mountaineering and swimming, however this category is fairly numerous.
– 1 Challenge. In contrast to the remainder of the exercises, these usually are not timed. There is a set number of reps and strikes to do, and you’re solely completed when you’ve completed all of them. I have by no means skipped a problem, and I advocate you don’t either!
BBG (Better Bikini Information) was created by Kayla Itsines. I use her SWEAT app ($19.99/month) to do my workouts, and have discovered that it’s good for our nomadic way of life. Here is a breakdown of her program:
BBG Beginner (Weeks 1-Four): This is thought-about “pre-training.” One of the largest mistakes I made was considering this stage was elective. Let me be clear: THIS IS NOT OPTIONAL. It’s a must to do the pre-training if you wish to achieve the rest of this system. Even for those who’re in fine condition to start with, the program’s exercises use loads of plyometric strikes, that are an entire totally different type of work than you may be used to.
BBG 1.zero (Weeks 1-12): Beginning this stage made me so sad. After a month of blood, sweat and tears, I was again at Week 1. There is something so mentally defeating about that.
Week 1 versus Week 8 using BBG (together with the 4 weeks of BBG Beginner)
THE STRATEGY TO BBG SUCCESS
Settle in, this is going to be an extended submit (truthful warning!). But I really discovered that each one of many points under have been what truly made BBG stick for me and be doable long-term. Let me clarify that I didn’t implement any of the following pointers for the first 3 times I tried and give up the program, however using them now has made all the distinction for me.
1. Plan your workouts based mostly on your own schedule and soreness (don’t use the app planner). For instance, during my first few attempts at the program I was doing one workout day by day or doubling up on resistance exercises like the app advisable. DON’T DO IT. The strategy that works greatest for me now’s to do a full-body exercise on Monday or Tuesday, abs/arms on Wednesday or Thursday, legs on Friday, and a challenge on the weekend. I sprinkle my three LISS exercises all through the week every time I’m feeling like being lively. The problem varies for me from week to week, but when it has to do with legs, I area it out even more. You never need to do full-body and leg resistance in back-to-back days (ouch). Sure, some elements of this system could be brutal, however try to look ahead to your exercises! They are (virtually) by no means as dangerous as you make them out to be in your mind.
2. Going off my first tip, it’s completely crucial to preset your exercises for the week. I do that on Monday mornings and set up my recreation plan for the week to return. If you realize there’s someday arising with a very packed schedule, schedule that as your restoration day. Correct planning is admittedly a vital part to being profitable with this system. I went to Iceland the place it was not attainable to keep it up, so I ate healthy, did my ab exercises 3 times and did a whole lot of strolling. When I received back, I simply started where I left off and I did not see any set backs at all.
3. Cool-downs are NOT non-compulsory. This was a serious mistake I made the first few occasions I tried this system — after my exercises, I was all the time crazy sore because I skipped the newbie stage and uncared for to stretch. By treating yourself to a pleasant cool-down, I guarantee you may be less sore and get more versatile as properly (which can assist to avoid damage).
Four. I already mentioned this, nevertheless it’s crucial: BBG Newbie is NOT optionally available either!
5. Brace yourself for the soreness. These exercises are arduous, however absolutely doable. For the first week, I literally couldn’t go up or down stairs without wincing in ache. Deal with your physique with care, and all the time ensure to stretch and area out your exercises. I discovered that strolling as my LISS after a leg or full-body day helped scale back soreness.
6. This was the most important game-changer for me: LISS doesn’t need to be operating. The primary few occasions I did this program, I wasn’t stretching, skipped the beginner stage and was swiftly operating three+ miles 3 times every week, in addition to three intense resistance workouts and a challenge. No marvel I didn’t keep it up! For the primary 5 weeks, I walked my canine for 35 minutes for all three LISS periods. It was at Week 6 (technically Week 2 if you get past Newbie) that I started operating once every week. At Week 9, I do two runs and one walk with my canine, and have found this to be far more manageable. Now that I’m in my second round of BBG 1.0, I’m happening one run every week and doing HIIT (high depth interval training) through the use of a weighted leap rope as soon as every week. For my different LISS workouts, I now do a 15 minute ab exercise that’s outdoors of the BBG program.
7. Loop in another individual (or a group) to keep you accountable. Zach and I are happening a couples journey to Iceland quickly with a few of our greatest buddies, and that was our motivation to stay to this system (I know, appears a bit odd for a cold local weather). Mariah and I travel talking about our struggles and our progress, laughing alongside the best way. It actually helps! I additionally found that posting my progress pictures every week on my Insta story gave me additional motivation.
NO MORE EXCUSEs
Banish all the standard excuses (and truly do something about it). Now, this will likely look like a “duh” level, nevertheless it’s simpler stated than completed. On my failed makes an attempt, I would discover any tiny excuse to not work out. This time, I eliminated every single “obstacle” so I literally had nothing to complain about, and no purpose not to work out. From my headphones to my hair, listed here are a few of the issues that obtained in the best way of my progress earlier than and how I improved it for my 4th try at BBG:
– Headphones. I hated each pair of headphones I had. They all the time fell out, harm my ears or had an unreasonably brief battery life. Do your self a favor and get a pair of long-lasting Bluetooth headphones (no twine, which is 100% crucial because BBG takes a whole lot of leaping round). A design that hooks over your ears is a plus, since they gained’t harm and gained’t fall out. I swear by these ones, which are $29 on Amazon Prime.
– No fitness center. As lots of you realize, we journey full-time in an RV, so I don’t have entry to a health club. We’re in RV parks more often than not, so I all the time have a “bench” (picnic desk), which BBG is made for. However I nonetheless didn’t have the gear I wanted for BBG (like a 20lb drugs ball), or the gear I did have (like 10lb free weights) have been onerous to get to. I comprehend it seems like somewhat factor, however Zach and I went to T.J. Maxx and received every little thing I wanted, together with a thick yoga mat (I was complaining about my backbone hurting), and Zach cleared an outer cubby specifically for my exercise gear. Now I have every little thing I want, right next to the place I work out. Drawback solved!
– The climate. You must provide you with a plan for days if you just don’t really feel like it. If it’s actually scorching/chilly outdoors, I will do solely the jumping workouts outdoors and do the remaining inside (you don’t need to leap around inside an RV). If it’s raining, I pull the awning on our RV over the picnic table so I can nonetheless work out. If I don’t need to run/stroll within the rain, Zach will do boxing with me beneath the awning.
– That time of month. I know this may be a contact weird to talk about, however for those who get owned by your interval like I used to, it will tremendously influence your exercises. I monitor my interval and make sure to do the extreme workouts (like leg and full body resistance) before or after my cycle. I additionally take Advil and do my greatest to work across the cramps (for me, certain elements of the day are worse than others).
– Being sick/tired. This is sure to occur. I have had a pair minor sicknesses throughout my program, however never skipped a single workout. I took drugs, stayed hydrated and cussed my means by way of it. In comparison with that, conquering tiredness is a simple fix. I discovered an all-natural power drink, Zero Celsius, that perks me up and gets me ready to go. I order it online and maintain stockpile for these days when I need just a little additional assist to get going.
– Espresso. I have a love/hate relationship with espresso and it was getting in the best way of my workouts. Before, I had this terrible behavior of consuming 5+ cups of espresso (oops), eating nothing, and then doing a workout. This resulted in me being tremendous shaky and eager to puke. I now restrict myself to at least one or two cups within the morning, and I make sure that to absorb a strong breakfast (and a bottle of water) before understanding.
– Hair. Again, this was only a tiny little thing. I have actually thick and long hair, and during workouts it might persist with me and get in my face, even in a pony. I now put on my hair in a high braided pony as an alternative. It stays put and doesn’t get tangled or keep on with me.
– Tennis footwear. My previous footwear have been previous and gave me shin splints. I did a number of Google searches and found two pairs which are good for BBG workouts and operating — they’re tremendous snug and don’t get in the best way of my workouts. ASICS are important for my part for BBG because of all of the jumping (mine are on Amazon Prime). I additionally now put on a knee brace on leg and full physique days for my troubled knee and this has actually helped me personally.
– Socks. Now we are getting a bit of nitpicky, however it’s these itty bitty issues that you will use as an excuse to skip a workout — I know I did. I never had sufficient clear socks, and the considered understanding in a pair of sweaty unwashed socks was not especially motivating. Finally I simply went on Amazon and stocked up, so now I have more than enough socks to ever let this be an excuse once more.
– Workout time. I wish to work out at 10 am — sometimes I’ve already been up and working for 5 hours and at that point, I’m ready to take a break from my desk. I additionally wish to exercise right before sunset, when it’s cooling down a bit after the noon warmth. This depends upon what I have happening for the day, but these are the two occasions that work greatest for me, and I’ve found that setting aside a distinct time for workouts has utterly abolished the “I don’t know when I’ll get around to it” mindset.
– Music. Nothing takes you out of a exercise like having to stop and skip boring songs or scrolling aimlessly by means of Spotify. Ensure you have 10 or so totally different playlists with music that gets you amped up. I make every playlist 40 minutes (somewhat longer than the exercises).
Again, this is likely one of the reasons I failed prior to now. I went from consuming poorly and not exercising to changing every little thing abruptly. This simply isn’t reasonable. You don’t need to consider this as happening a “diet,” however slightly making sustainable eating and way of life modifications.
I are likely to eat very clean because I get nauseous simply (all the time have, particularly with processed sugars, dairy or deep-fried foods). Now I eat based mostly on what is going to make me really feel the most effective vs. what I’m craving. Amazingly sufficient, that straightforward change in mentality led to an enormous difference in how I eat.
Personally, I don’t use the established BBG meal plan. This if for a couple of reasons: First, she’s from Australia and a number of the foods she recommends are overseas to me (I’m also a horribly picky eater). Second, I don’t eat meat or dairy, however I do eat small quantities of tuna, shrimp, crab and lobster, which limits my options fairly significantly. Lastly, I don’t prepare dinner. I know that’s horrible a cooking is a beneficial talent, but I know myself and I won’t meal prep.
So for the first four weeks, I hardly changed something about the best way I was eating. I would begin to make better swaps (like snacking on fruits as an alternative of chips). It was only on Week 5 that I actively began to take a deeper look into my eating regimen. I don’t monitor energy as it isn’t wholesome for me mentally, so as an alternative I do the next:
– Drink a smoothie every morning. In addition, I eat fruit, granola and dairy-free yogurt or peanut butter and honey Ezekiel (sprouted) bread.
– I don’t eat chips anymore. I know myself: If I eat one, I will eat the whole bag. So now, I merely don’t purchase them. I hold almonds and a bunch of recent fruit (apples, peaches, pears, berries) around to snack on in between meals.
– I eat out virtually every single day. I know that is horrible, however we don’t have time to prepare dinner and it’s good for Zach and I to get out of the RV after working for hours on finish. So at restaurants, I make better decisions. For example, I’ll order seared ahi tuna with cucumbers (hold any sauce) as an alternative of fried shrimp. I nonetheless eat burgers and tacos and anything I need, however carefully. I all the time get veggies as an alternative of fries.
– Drinks. So many people drink their energy. I’ve by no means appreciated pop, but I was addicted to sweet tea since shifting to the South. I now permit myself to drink pink wine or lemon water, but no more sweet tea or sugary drinks.
– Meals I make at house. I know if it’s not straightforward, fast and attractive, I gained’t do it, so I’m reasonable in my strategy. I eat a variety of Amy’s Organic meals (I love the gluten- and dairy-free verde black bean burritos, in addition to the soups). I additionally ceaselessly microwave a candy potato and load it up with black beans and avocado.
HOW I’VE MODIFIED THE PROGRAM
It was at Week 7 (near the top of my plateau) when I came to the belief that this system simply doesn’t have enough ab-centric workouts for my liking. I began adding one in every of my favourite school workouts, the Brazilian Butt Carry “Tummy Tuck” exercise (which you’ll find on Seashore Physique). It’s solely 20 minutes and works SO nicely! (And no shade, nevertheless it was undoubtedly filmed circa 2003, which makes it an oldie but a goodie). Now I’m up to doing this twice every week in addition to the complete BBG program. Be happy to make any modifications you need to the program; you simply should take heed to your physique. With all the jumps and different high-impact work, I discovered I wasn’t capable of run as nicely at first. Now I’m again at it for 50% of my LISS workouts (and 50% walks). I nonetheless have hassle doing tuck jumps and leap lunges (it’s onerous on my knees), so I do the modified version. For the life of me, I can’t do a push up, so I do the knee-down model, but I’m getting there. It’s all about tailoring this system to greatest go well with you as a person.
I saw great results inside the first three weeks. However Weeks Four-7 I hit a HUGE plateau. It was so discouraging, however when studying about different individuals’s experiences, I found that this is quite common. I’ve heard many individuals say Week eight is if you really see modifications (I don’t know in the event that they have been together with the pre-training or not), and I must agree. That is when I saw a huge change and it actually encouraged me to keep going. I also saw nice outcomes when I started BGG 1.0 for a second time. It does not get simpler, however moderately, you find yourself capable of do extra reps. Am I at my splendid but? Not quite. But am I getting there, completely! I am finally confident and feeling wholesome again. I will say, I have been 100% devoted this time around, and that absolutely exhibits in my outcomes. I’m excited to see how these modifications will proceed to work for me going ahead.
Have any of you achieved BBG? What was your experience. I’d love to hear and reply any questions anybody has!